code

Friday, January 11, 2019

ZX Spectrum Steganography






After doing my Black Mirror's Bandersnatch easter egg hunt, I thought about how one can expand the idea behind this cool trick and then it hit me - why not use this as a modern steganography technique?

So I started investigating a bit about what will be needed in order to develop such a tool that will enable hiding a secret message in a sound wave, passing it in any way (on an audio file, TV, YouTube video - I'm sure you can be more creative than me :) , and then decoding it on the other end, back to some readable message.


In order to do so, I wrote a simple program that will receive some text input from the user, create and compile a ZX Spectrum tape file (with z88dk compiler), and then get a sound wave file out of that tape.


Not very complicated, but surely a cool trick that I'm sure most of modern people won't recognize (unless they were born at the 80's and had a ZX Spectrum themselves :)


You can find the GitHub repo with all the details in here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mastering Problem-Solving and Cultivating a Research Mindset in the ChatGPT Era (and why you still need to RTFM)

  In this post I'll present a technical problem (some will say it's probably a bug more than it is a feature) I had with a VR app, h...